Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer Lovin' Memories

There are so many wonderful things about warm summer weather and time off. Yesterday I visited mudder and fadder who are camping at the classic Elm River, and then we also took a bit of a day trip to Oxford to see other family friends who are camping there. I got to do some romping through the forest and tubing down the river. There was a bit of a negative point where I think I got too much sun or something and kind of wanted to empty the contents of my stomach and then pass out... but thats all water under the bridge now! Still a great day in my books. Camping is one of those things that always reminds me of good times when I was growing up. I think most people have those types of nostalgic memories... you know what I mean, the memories of childhood that give you a warm fuzzy longing for the past. I know that Chris's are of spending time in the woods exploring and building, etc. Mine are mostly of camping and making imaginary food out of mud, leaves and unedible berries.

The part I find saddening about memories from childhood is when years go by and then time takes a toll on something you used to enjoy so much. For example, growing up there was a ballfield owned by a local company just up the road from my parents house. In the summer, we would walk up to the field after supper and watch the company ballgames. If there was a foul ball, whoever found it got to keep it... so my trusty doggy pal Maggie and I got plenty of softballs. There was some playground equipment, crab apple trees, and wooden stands to watch the game from.  Since I was younger, the company that owns the field has gone through many owners, and it happened again this year. When summer hit, I decided to take a little visit up to the ballfield. I was slightly horrified and very disappointed to see that the field has now been neglected. The field is thick and grown in, the stands look like a broken leg just waiting to happen, and even some of the crab apple trees have gotten old and been damaged in storms. The playground equipment is long gone, and from the looks of the debris in the parking area, hormonal teenagers are the only consistent visitors. Such a let down. If I lived within a closer distance and owned a ride on lawn mower, I would totally whip that field into shape. But I don't. So it seems I just have to settle for my positive memories and let go of things I cannot control!

4 comments:

  1. "If I lived within a closer distance and owned a ride on lawn mower, I would totally whip that field into shape." --I would most definitely get a kick out of seeing Jessica Hodder driving down the street on a ride-on like the old man that lives in my 'hood' haha. Funny it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. childhood memories r great... things do change and that can be good and bad... i think u would look better driving a john deer make certain u have a beer in the cup holder... just for effect!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts folks ;) One of these days you might just see it happening...

    ReplyDelete
  4. One time Garret cut down my favorite childhood memory with a chainsaw and a smile on his face.

    Goodbye, swingset. I still love you even though my savage boyfriend destroyed you!

    ReplyDelete