Monday, January 16, 2012

And then I said...

So I was trying to be a good little blogger and I wrote up a post a few days ago, but I never got around to actually posting it. It's going to have to wait for yet another day now because today I have something else to write about.

I probably shouldn't. I'm sure it's not mature and it might even be a little petty considering the fact that the other person it involves probably won't read this. And if she does, well that's good too. Maybe it'll save me some trouble in the future. Anyway...

For anyone who doesn't know, I'm currently taking some courses at the local NSCC that I need as prerequisites for the BScN degree program that I want to go into next year. The courses are going well and my marks are excellent. The problem, you see, is some of my classmates in these courses. Actually, that's too general. It's more like just one person. The way these courses work is that the teachers don't really lecture or teach in front of the class, everyone learns mostly from the book and you work at your own pace independently, completing assignments and tests as you go.

I go to class to try to get as much work done as possible in that amount of time. This girl apparently goes to catch her friend up on everything that is going on in her life. Oh yeah, and it also appears to be her texting time, cause she does that basically non-stop. Everyone has to hear about her  boyfriend, all the drama of her daily life, the program she's sure she's getting into next year (I really want to break it to her that she doesn't have a chance of getting in because her marks suck and the program takes a very small number of people... none of which she seems to realize), family stuff, tv shows, food, anything and everything that pops into her "typical eighteen year old" mind. Then we have to listen to her complain about how she needs to get more work done, and she doesn't like trying to do schoolwork at home, etc etc. One time she tried to tell me that she thought the boyfriend killed Amber Kirwan because she heard he has ADHD and people with ADHD don't feel guilt. She got a little lesson on the difference between people with ADHD and psychopaths from me that day.

I've been trying to be passive since September. I have tried changing seats to be further away from her. I even bring earphones and listen to music. Nothing drowns her out. It drives everyone nuts, but no one ever says anything. Well, today something inside of me must have snapped. I was sick and tired of her coming to class and distracting everyone with her pointless nonsense. So, at one point I ripped out my headphones and said something along the lines of "Why do you two even come to class? You talk way too much all the time. It's every fucking day."

She her response was "Ok...", and then they started passing the cell phone back and forth so I can only assume they were talking about me. But you know what? I don't care. It was so nice and quiet for the rest of class! It was great. We'll see how the rest of the week goes. I suspect old ways will creep back in and I'll have to say something again. I'm hoping I'm wrong though and that she'll actually be more considerate from now on.

Anyway, that is my story from today. What's the lesson everyone should take from this? Shut up or ship out!

6 comments:

  1. I think your ultra moderate approach to social etiquette is ineffective, you need to take a more direct "hands on" approach to achieve lasting results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha, she sounds like the kind that would learn something from this. Best be checking your tires when you go to leave school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you go jess i never knew u had that in you .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god. I'd punch her. I cannot stand people like that. Sit down, shut up& do your work. Social hour can wait.

    Also, rock on sista!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LMFAO. I just saw this now.

    ReplyDelete